Monday, November 11, 2013

Cornbread Whoopie Pies with Jalapeno Pimento Cheese

Yum
The folks at Sweet Creations by Good Cook gave the call out for a fun new challenge. They asked their Good Cook Kitchen Experts to come up with an "out of the box" idea and use their whoopie pan.  Most whoopie pies are sweet so I took the savory route to veer from the expected to the unexpected.  I loved the whoopie pan they gave me because it helped me make perfectly even tops and bottoms for the whoopie pie.  I also love the look and feel of this pan.  It has a nice weight to it, cleans easily and baked my pie sides evenly.   I am so excited to play some more with the whoopie pan and make lots of fun things for the Thanksgiving holiday.



Ingredients:
 

For the cornbread:
1 box Jiffy Corn bread mix
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
2 Tbs water



For filling:
1 8oz brick of cream cheese softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2-3 seeded jalapenos chopped
1/4 cup of jarred pimentos drained
1 tsp granulated garlic powder
red chili flakes to taste
black pepper to taste
salt to taste

Good Cook tools: Whoopie Pie Pan


Directions:

Mix cornbread ingredients together. Tip: sift the cornbread/jiffy mix so there are no lumps and you have a smooth batter.

In a food processor, blend the cream cheese, mayonnaise, cheddar cheese and seasoning until smooth.  Then add the diced jalapenos and blend again.  Finally fold in the pimento.  Chill mixture until needed.

Spray the whoopie pie pan with cooking spray.  Fill wells 1/2 way full.  Bake at 375 for 7-9 minutes.  Allow sides to cool on a cooling rack completely.  Apply cream filling on one side and top with another.  Enjoy.



Bonus recipe idea:
 I made a few cupcakes and topped it with the filling as frosting.
Disclaimer:  I was given the Sweet Creations by Good Cook Whoopie Pie pan and the cupcake liners for this post.  I was not financially compensated.  All opinions are my own.

Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.