Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Basil Garlic Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Pasta

Yum
I am a spice, herb and aromatic lover. When I cook, I want all the herbs and aromatics like ginger and garlic well stocked in my kitchen to make all my dishes taste great.  I also love to cook quickly, because sometimes I have hungry kids and a husband clamoring for dinner.

When I'm in a rush, chopping and prepping these much loved herbs and aromatics becomes tiresome and it always slows me down.  The folks at Dorot Garlic and Herbs approached me to try out their frozen prepped herbs and aromatics.  I found the garlic and basil in my local Trader Joes and went home to see how fast it would make me in the kitchen.  I had this entire meal done in less than 30 minutes.  I call that "fast food" when you can make two dishes and please four hungry people.

 I loved how easy the garlic and basil just popped out of their little portioned cubical. I put the unused portion back in my freezer for my next cooking adventure.  Yes, I really loved these easy and efficient aromatics and herbs by Dorot.

You can make either dishes or both together. My husband, son and I ate the chicken with the pasta.  My daughter ate just the pasta since she is not a big fan of meat.  They were raving over both and I know this will be an easy week night dinner I can pull together quickly thanks to Dorot's convenience herbs and aromatics. :)  



Ingredients:
Basil Garlic Chicken:
4 boneless/skinless chicken breast
2 cubes garlic (about 2 cloves garlic)
4 cubes basil (about 4-5 tsps ground basil)
2-3 Tbs water
salt and black pepper to taste

 

Roasted Red Pepper Pasta:
1lb pasta cooked in well salted water until 90% cooked
1 medium onion finely chopped
8 cubes garlic (7-8 small garlic cloves)
10 cubes basil (10 tsps chopped basil leaves)
2-3 large roasted peppers (I used jarred peppers)
2/3cup cup starchy pasta water
2/3 cup milk (or cream)
red pepper flake to taste
1 chicken bullion cube  (optional)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and black pepper to taste

 Directions:

To cook the Chicken:

Heat 1-2 Tbs of canola on a pan on high heat.  Add chicken seasoned well with salt and black pepper and brown both sides  well.

Reduced heat to medium and cook until chicken is cooked through 5-7 minutes per side (depending on thickness).


Then add garlic and basil cubes and increase heat to medium high.  Add water to make sauce and baste chicken well.  Allow chicken to sit for 5 minutes and then sliced as desired.  Enjoy.



 For Roasted Red Pepper pasta:
Cook pasta in well salted water until 90% cooked.  Remove pasta water and dissolve bullion cube if desired. Chop onion and red pepper.   Heat 1-2 Tbs canola oil in pan and saute onion with salt.  Add garlic cubes and saute for another minute.

Next add bell pepper, black pepper and basil.  Add pasta water.  Mix well.  Remove from heat.

Put sauce into blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Return sauce back into pan add red chili flakes and milk.  Taste for seasoning. Adjust as needed.  Add pasta and Parmesan cheese and mix well. Serve hot with more Parmesan cheese.  Enjoy.





Check out  Dorot for more information.



Disclaimer:  I was given coupons by Dorot to try their products.   I was not financially compensated.  All opinions are my own.



Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.