Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mild Chicken and Potato Curry

Yum
I made this mild chicken and potato curry for my kids, mother, niece and nephew.  My nephew would much rather play than stop to eat.  So when I told them that lunch was ready, he came with no enthusiasm to eat. After a few bites of this curry with some rice he said that this chicken was really good and proceeded to eat enthusiastically.  I love when I convert a skeptic.  This chicken curry is a great one to try out for someone that does not care for very spicy food.   We ate it over rice, but you can enjoy this with any flat bread or noodles.  I had to go buy more potatoes yesterday because my son wants me to cook this again. I guess he (my picky eater) liked it too. :)


Ingredients:
3-4lbs bone in chicken
3 large potatoes cut into large cubes
1 medium onion
2 green chilies (seeded for milder flavor)
2-3 cloves of garlic grated or minced
1inch of grated ginger
10-20 curry leaves (optional)
1-2 3 inch pieces of pandan leaves (optional)
1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
6 cloves
6 green cardamoms pods
1 tsp fennugreek seeds
2 Tbs unroasted curry powder (McCormick Brand)
3-4 cups water
1 cup coconut milk
Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat 2-3 Tbs of canola oil in a large pan.  Once hot add curry leaves, onions, pandan leaves, green chilies, ginger, garlic, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves and fennugreek seeds.  Saute for 2-3 minutes.

Then add chicken to pan and toss with other ingredients and start to brown.

Add the curry powder, salt, black pepper and toss with all ingredients.   Then add 3-4 cups of water and the cubed potatoes. You need enough water to cook the chicken and the potatoes.  Cook for 20-25 minutes with lid on.
 
Finally add the coconut milk and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve hot with rice, roti, naan.  Enjoy.







Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.