Friday, June 22, 2012

Sri Lankan Shrimp Curry

Yum
When I am rushing to cook a rice and curry meal, shrimp curry is an easy go to dish for me.  I always try to keep some cleaned frozen shrimp in my freezer that I can quickly defrost for a quick meal. This aromatic and spicy dish makes my mouth water just thinking about it.  My mother gave me this recipe and my entire family loved it.  The dish is cooked without any oil so it is very figure friendly.



Ingredients:
1lb of cleaned shrimp
1 medium onion sliced or chopped
1-2 chili peppers sliced (fresno,jalapeno or serrano)
3-5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 inches of ginger finely chopped or grated
1 stalk of lemon grass (pounded a few times)-- the lemon grass is optional
handful of curry leaves
2 Tbs of lemon juice
1 Tbs of red chili powder -or to taste
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of fenugreek seeds
1 (2 inch) stick of cinnamon
salt to taste
1/2 cup of water
1 cup coconut milk

Directions:
 You can use frozen or fresh shrimp (do not use already cooked shrimp).  I used frozen shrimp that I defrosted under cold water.  My shrimp was cleaned with only the tails on.  I do think that the shrimp shells give a wonderful flavor to the gravy so if you don't mind cleaning your shrimp as you eat, the shells are good to have while you cook the dish.


Add all the ingredients to the pan and bring to a simmer on medium-high heat.   You will see more liquid form in the pan from the shrimp.    


Simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.  Stir occasionally.


Add coconut milk and stir well.   Taste for salt here.  Serves 4 people.  Eat with rice other curries.  Enjoy.




Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.